C Warren 1

Wing Commander Charles Warren MBE.DFC

Few pilots had a career in the RAF serving in all three Commands, as well as a qualifying as a Flying Instructor and Accident Investigator, taking the surrender of Japanese troops in Hong Kong, becoming a member of the famous Caterpiller Club (by the use of a parachute from a stricken aircraft) and awarded the MBE, DFC, with a MID, and recommended for an AFC along the way. W/C Charles Warren was one of that rare breed.

Born on the 15th November 1918 at Witham, Essex he was educated at St Crispin School and the Royal Grammar School, Colchester. Joining the RAF in January 1935 as an apprentice, he attended No 1 School of Technical Training RAF Halton Bucks, (the 31st entry and known affectionaly as a Halton Brat ). He was promoted to a Sergeant Apprentice (567853) of No 3 Wing, passing out as an AC1 (with a 77% mark) in December 1937, being qualified as an engineer /fitter airframes, coming 14th out of the intake.
He represented RAF Halton at Fencing and was Captain of the Squadron Rugby XV, being in the winning team of 1936/7 of the Barrington – Kennet Trophy, under W/C PF Fullard DSO MC AFC.
Charles Warren was awarded a Flight Cadetship to RAF College Cranwell in January 1938, his log being signed many times by the Chief Instructor, S/L Dermot Boyle. He was awarded his ‘wings’ on the 6th April 1939 having flown 120hrs, and was promoted to Flight Cadet Sergeant. With his previous experience at Halton he was chosen for both the rugby and fencing teams gaining his ‘blues’. Amongst his fellow students on ‘B’ Squadron (who he became great friends with) was Timothy Wildblood (also later posted to 152 Squadron and sadly to be killed in action on 25th August 1940). 

The course was shortened due to war being declared and Warren was transferred to the RAFVR as an airman u/t Pilot on September 7th 1939, on 5 shillings a day. He was graded as being suitable as a Fighter Pilot on leaving Cranwell. He then graduated to a Permanent Commission on October 1st, being posted on the same day to 152 Squadron which was reforming an establishment at Acklington. His commission document as a Pilot Officer finally being signed on the 23rd October 1939. Joining on the same day were P/O’s Shepley, Wildblood, Jones, Posner, Cox, and Atkinson. The squadron would soon convert from Gladiators, to Spitfires, under the command of W/C Shute who signed Warren’s log-book on 31st October 1939. (Sadly being killed in February 1940 due to engine failure). For the next two months Charles Warren spent many hours flying the Gladiator and Harvard perfecting his flying skills often with Sgt Wolten and P/O Cox. He was attached to ‘A’ Flight under the watchful eye of Flt Lt Withall who has signed his log at the end of each month.

The squadron became operational on the 6th January 1940, but had already been flying Gladiators on patrols during December off the north east coast, Warren taking part in five patrols with no enemy being seen.

During January he took part in another seven patrols, flying a Spitfire for the first time on the 15th (K9854). Warren noted in his log-book on the 29th that he attacked a Heinkel 111(no result) whilst flying Gladiator N5647.

In February he took part in nine patrols, with an interception of an enemy aircraft taking place on the 23rd whilst flying Spitfire K9983. Another twelve patrols were flown by him during March, the majority in Spitfire K9883.

Only five patrols were undertaken during April flying Spitfire K9983, and during this month Warren was granted written authority (in his log) by S/L Peter Devitt to perform aerobatics having completed over 50hrs flying in the Spitfire.

During May Warren flew on five ’X Raids’ (looking for unidentified enemy aircraft), with nine in June, the increase heralding the start of the Battle of Britain.

On the 12th July, the squadron was placed under 10 Group and moved from Acklington to Warmwell in Dorset still under the command of W/C Devitt.

The Battle of Britain officially commenced on the 10th of July 1940, and P/O Warren, along with the other pilots of 152 Squadron were soon in the thick of it. He had in fact, already taken part in nine ‘X Raids’ and Convoy Patrols from the 1st to 15th July, mainly flying Spitfire P 9440.

On the 16th July P/O Warren was scrambled ( flying Spitfire P9456) to intercept unknown enemy aircraft, his log book entry shows ‘3 Me 109’s being chased by 3 Hurricanes’, but they lost sight of them due to the extensive fog on that day.

At 1010 hours on the 18th July 1940, Yellow Section was ordered to patrol over Portland protecting a convoy passing through the Channel. Warren was flying as Yellow 2; with two other pilots from the section when they were set upon by a Staffel of Me109’s which dived through their formation. The following is taken from the Squadron Composite Combat Report sent to HQ Fighter Command later that day:-“40 Enemy Aircraft sighted flying west at 2000ft, section turned and followed in a line astern. At 1025 a Dornier 215 (Convoy Spotter) was sighted and Yellow Leader (P/O Bayles) was about to attack when Dornier flashed a white signal. Yellow Leader moved slightly to port to identify then gave a burst from almost astern. Yellow 3(P/O Hogg) then warned that 2 Me 109’s had passed either side of him and heard an explosion as his port wing was hit.
He turned and lost sight of his section, using cloud cover he returned to protect the convoy until relieved by Green Section. Yellow 2(P/O Warren) prepared to follow Yellow Leader into the attack , heard Yellow 3’s warning and saw 3 Me 109’s above and to his right. He took evasive action but E/A got on his tail and fired a short burst, Yellow 2 easily out-turned him. E/A broke off and climbed, Yellow 2 followed to 12000 ft but could not catch him and returned to convoy looking for Yellow Leader and Yellow 3 and was attacked by another Me 109 which he evaded. Yellow 3, seeing Yellow 1 and Yellow 2 breaking away right and left and no enemy fighters attacked the Do 215 from astern and fired all his ammunition, opening at 300 and closing to 150 ft, saw no return fire or damage to the E/A which did a gentle turn into cloud and was lost.”

The Dornier 215 was often mistaken for a Dornier 17, on this day a Dornier 17-M from Stab StG 77 failed to return from an operational sortie, Oblt Strecker, one NCO killed and one missing, P/O Hogg being credited for this.

Despite the damage to his own aircraft, F/O Warren managed to land his Spitfire P9640 safely at Warmwell at 1110hrs. By the end of July he had amassed a total flying time of 364 hrs 20 mins (just 23 hrs 45 mins on Spitfires) The squadron at this time only having 10 serviceable aircraft with 20 pilots. He took part in three more ’X Raids’ before the end of July but the squadron did not engage any enemy aircraft. Between the 1st and 6th August, P/O Warren participated in a further 6 ‘X Raids’ again with no combats.

However, the situation changed on Thursday August 8th, a convoy of 20 merchant ships escorted by 9 Royal Navy vessels (Convoy C.W.9. Peewit) were making their way through the English Channel during daybreak when they were attacked by E-Boats who sank three of the merchantmen. This was followed by an all-out air assault by Luftflotte 3 with dive-bombers of Fliegerkorps VIII intent on destroying the convoy, protected by Me 109’s from JG 27/JG53, and Me 110’s from V/LG1 at Caen. Squadrons all along the South Coast were scrambled to protect Convoy ‘Peewit’, 152 being one of these. P/O Warrens’ logbook shows two convoy patrols that day, flying Spitfire P9432, each over 1 hour 50 minutes in the air, with no conclusive combats.

The convoy was decimated, out of the 20 ships ‘setting sail’, only four made it to Swanage. Sgt Robinson and P/O Beaumont from 152 Squadron being shot down (landing unhurt) by Me 109’s from II/JG53 during the tremendous dog-fighting involving over 150 Luftwaffe aircraft that day. At 1015hrs on Sunday August 11th , P/O Warren was flying as Blue 1 in Spitfire P 9432, being one of four pilots of ‘A’ Flight scrambled from 152 Squadron( with 6 other Spitfires from ‘B’ Flight), to assist eight other squadrons who were ordered to intercept 165 German aircraft on their way to bomb and strafe Portland. The bombers were from KG 54, and KG 27, with Me 110’s from ZG2 and Me 109’s from JG2, protecting them. This was the largest raid yet sent against England.

The massive ‘dog-fight’ took place at 23,000ft, and spread across the width of Weymouth Bay. The RAF were unable to get to the bombers, which finally got through and commenced their level bombing runs at 15,000ft setting the oil tanks on fire. Charles Warrens’ log book just shows he engaged Me 109’s without seeing any results, the squadron ORB’s give a more detailed account:-

Ten to fifteen miles off Swanage ten Me 109’s were sighted in a dog-fight with another RAF Squadron. They reported this to control, but the Me 109’s saw the four Spitfires from 152 coming at them and turned for their base in France.
P/O Warren and another pilot chased these Me 109’s towards the French coast but were unable to get within an effective range to engage the enemy aircraft’ During this air-fighting, Yellow 2, (P/O Jones) was shot down between Portland and Swanage baling out and landing in the Channel. Warren, in company with two other Spitfires from 152 were ordered up again (in company with Blenheims of 604 Squadron) to look for him.

They came across a sea rescue Heinkel He59B (from Seenotzentrale Cherbourg) riding on the sea 30 miles off Cherbourg recovering Luftwaffe airmen, protected by six circling Me 109’s. The three Spitfires held off the Me 109’s whilst the Blenheims destroyed the seaplane. There was no sighting of P/O Jones or his parachute, but his body was later recovered and buried in Y-Port Cemetery France.* The He 59 was known as the ‘Red Cross’ aircraft, but RAF crews were ordered to attack them after increasing numbers were seen in the vicinity of convoys.

On Monday August 12th, Warren was scrambled for an ‘X’ Raid that saw him in the air for only 10 minutes according to the entry in his logbook. He was not involved in the large interception that took place later at 1145 hrs over St Catherines Point, Isle of Wight, when 12 Ju 88’s were seen attacking the radar stations on the Isle of Wight. In this action Flt Lt Withall and P/O Shepley were killed.

P/O Jones & P/O Shepley

The next day, the 13th August (known as Adler Tag ) the Luftwaffe sent over a force of 135 bombers and fighters to destroy airfields in the South. Flt Lt Boitel-Gill led an attack of Spitfires from 152 Squadron on 30 Me 110’s( from 1ZG/2) trying to form with Ju 88’s from KG54 at 15000ft over Portland. (Only one Me 110 being shot down by F/O Hughes from 238 Squadron.)

In a two hour period Warren attacked three Me 110’s, landing and refuelling between engagements, without any results being seen. The next two days Warren was flying on patrols over Warmwell and taking part in further ‘X Raids’ along the coast, with no combats.

At 1240 hrs on Friday the 16th August, P/O Warren was one of 13 Spitfires on patrol from 152 Squadron at 15,000ft over the Isle of Wight. Eighty six RAF fighters in total had been ordered up to intercept over 300 Luftwaffe aircraft on their way to bomb airfields in the south, along with the radar stations. Five ‘Stuka’ dive-bombers (from SG/2) in the process of bombing the CH Station at Ventnor were intercepted by 152 Squadron. Evasive action by the enemy was so rapid that no pilot from152 had any chance of opening fire or visualising the field combat. There were also many more escorting Me 109’s (from JG/2) and Me110’s (from III/ZG76), only two 109’s being destroyed in this engagement. This attack by the Luftwaffe would put the CH Station out of action for the next 7 days.

Forty five Luftwaffe aircraft in all were shot down for the loss of half this number by the RAF. This was the day that Flt Lt Nicholson of 249 Squadron won the Victoria Cross by staying with his burning Hurricane long enough to shoot down a Me 110 over Gosport.

The next day Warren was back in the air looking for reconnaissance aircraft without success. On Sunday the 18th August he was flying Spitfire P9432, one of 11 from 152 ordered to patrol over Portsmouth at 1400hrs. Poling CH Radar Station had picked up on their screens a large formation of aircraft that were headed in their direction. These turned out to be over 150 Ju 87’s with escorting Me 109’s that were intent on destroying both Poling and Thorney Island Radar Stations.

At 1430hrs, Flt Lt Boitel-Gill led his eleven Spitfires in line astern over the Isle of Wight, the whole squadron engaging 30 of the Stukas (from1/StG 77) at sea level as they were on their way back to their bases.

P/O ‘Boy’ Marrs from 152 was later to report that ‘we dived on them and they dropped down to 100 above the water, there then followed a running chase out to sea’. Marrs was to claim one of the Stukas as destroyed before running out of ammunition. In all 152 Squadron claimed 10 Ju 87’s and 1 Me 109 destroyed in this combat.

P/O Warrens next sortie was on Wednesday 21st August when the Luftwaffe sent over scattered raids on a wide front. Warren records in his log-book that he intercepted a Ju 88, this may have been one of the lone raiders that 238 Squadron were sent to intercept over St Eval from Kampfgr 806.

At this time Red Section with P/O’s Cox, Hogg and Holmes were patrolling the Swanage area when they saw a Ju 88 at 4000ft just west of the Needles. All three made an attack line astern and saw smoke come from the enemy aircraft’s port engine forcing it down to sea level where it eventually crashed into the sea.

On Thursday 22nd August at 1717 hrs, blue section of 152 were ordered to fly at 25,000ft to look for two Ju 88’s 10 miles south of Portland. The Luftwaffe sent over small groups of aircraft during the early evening having failed in their attempts to destroy the convoy codenamed ‘Totem’ during the day.

P/O Watson flying as Blue 2 became separated from the others and having climbed to 25000ft then spotted and attacked one of two Ju 88’s, seeing pieces fly off its port engine following it down to 5000ft.

Warren was flying as Blue 3 with P/O Marrs as Blue 1, when they saw the other Ju 88, which they attacked off the coast at Portland. Although they did not see it crash the Observer Corps reported seeing a Dornier 17 in the sea. Marrs and Warren were awarded a ‘shared’ kill. *Only one Dornier 17 was recorded lost this day from 1/KG2, all crew being killed.

On Saturday 24th August, 152 Squadron was sent up to 25000 ft in order to intercept about 50 Ju 88’s of LG 1 approaching the Isle of Wight. Warren records this as an attack on Southampton in his log-book. This was the day that the Luftwaffe had devoted to the destruction of RAF Fighter Command. No losses to 152 were recorded, but in all the RAF lost 16 aircraft to the Luftwaffe’s 20.

Warren was again flying the next day, the 25th, as nearly 300 aircraft were plotted by Ventnor Radar Station heading towards Weymouth Bay. These consisted of Ju 88’s from II/KG51 and II/KG54, protected by Me 110’s from I/ZG2 and IIZG2 and V/LG1. They were on their way to bomb Portland, Weymouth, and Warmwell airfield.

Twelve aircraft from152 Squadron were ordered up around 1700hrs just before the airfield was bombed at 1720 hrs. The squadron were soon in the thick of many dog-fights, the ORB for the day recording 20 Ju 88’s, 30 Me 110’s and 40 Me 109’s being encountered west of Portland. Four claims of aircraft destroyed by 152 were made that day, Warren recording that he engaged a Ju 88 at 25000ft. sadly, his old Cranwell colleague P/O Wildblood was killed, along with P/O RM Hogg, during the late afternoon.

Monday 26th August was the day that Goering had decided to attack airfields in the 11 Group area. There being three main attacks that day and it was Warmwells turn at about 1600 hrs when 50 He 111’s of KG 55 accompanied by 107 Me 109’s and 110’s bombed Portsmouth en route. Keith Park ordered up 8 Squadrons to intercept them, 152 amongst them. P/O Warren records in his log having to land at Farnborough later that day.

The next day 152 were sent up to try and locate reconnaissance aircraft reported in their area, Warren records flying at 10,000ft over Warmwell. His last scramble with 152 Squadron took place on the 31st August.

During the Battle of Britain period Flying Officer Warren took part in over 50 ‘scrambles’ and many patrols, bringing his flying time to 408hrs. He was promoted to Flying Officer on the 1st October 1940.

During the last days of September 1940 he volunteered along with P/O Greenhill to fly Lysander aircraft from 419 (SD) Flight at Stapleford, being involved in clandestine work. On the 14th October he was then posted to 12 OTU Benson as an instructor to Polish pilots converting to Fairy Battles.

Within a short time he volunteered to transfer to Bomber Command and was sent to 15 OTU Harwell on December 2nd as an instructor on Wellington Bombers. On the 5th January 1941 whilst instructing on Wellington R1291 he had to make a forced landing at Bletchley due to engine trouble. On the 10th September 1942 he took part in the second ‘1000 Bomber Raid’ on Germany (Düsseldorf) flying Wellington 3215 and later promoted to Flight Lieutenant.

He was recommended for the Air Force Cross during the period between 1.2.42 – 31.7.42 for these instructional and operational duties:- ‘Squadron Leader Warren has served in No 15 OTU since December 1941 and has been a Flight Commander for the past five months. He has displayed outstanding ability. At all times he has shown the greatest keenness and energy to pass trainees out on schedule, thus keeping up the flow of crews for the Middle East. This officer’s enthusiasm and personal example are of a high order and he shows the greatest devotion to duty’

In the event the recommendation was not approved and he was later given a Mention in Dispatches (LG 1.1.43).

On the 15th October 1942, he was posted to No 466 Squadron RAAF which had just been formed on that day at Driffield (later Leconfield) as a medium bomber unit flying Wellington aircraft under the control of 4 Group. He was given the rank of A/Squadron Leader and became a Flight Commander, their first ‘Ops’ on the 13th January 1943 being mine-laying (Gardening) off the Frisian Islands, ( ‘Terschelling -Mines dropped from 500 feet’ ) He completed a tour of Ops flying further ‘mining sorties’ in addition to attacking a number of French and German targets, the latter including Cologne, Frankfurt, Krafelt, Dortmund and Essen- in a raid on the last named city on 27th May he noted in his log, ‘Intense and accurate flak’.

At the end of his tour Warren’s log-book was endorsed on the 19th September 1943 by the O/C of 466 Squadron, ‘Completed second operational tour of 16 sorties - an exceptional Master Bomber Pilot’ Warren had been awarded the DFC nine days earlier, the citation reading;-

‘Following an arduous operational tour during the Battle of Britain he changed to Bomber Aircraft during which as Flight Commander displayed considerable skill and courage whilst on operational sorties to some of the most heavily defended objectives. He is a cool and courageous pilot, who by his personal example has sustained the high morale and fighting spirit of the flight’. On the 1st October 1943, Warren was then sent back to instructing, this time with No 19 OTU at Forres, a satellite airfield on Kinloss, located on Lady Gordon- Cummings estate. Here he was flying Whitley and Anson aircraft, but Warren objected to this posting and was in turn sent to No 2 Overseas Dispatch Unit at St Mawgan on the 8th June 1944, under the command of W/C MacLachlan. This unit flew Domini and Wellington aircraft preparing crews to go overseas.

On his days off, he would go clay- pigeon shooting and also sunbathing on the nearby beaches taking a walkie - talkie with him in case of emergencies. Charles Warren had a BSA motorbike in order to travel the length of the airfield and he would often be seen with his Staffordshire bull terrier Pete sitting on the petrol tank. During his time at St Mawgan Warren had to entertain Prince Bernard of the Netherlands for three days as the result of his aircraft being delayed. The Prince also had a Sealyham dog with him who became great friends of Warren’s dog Pete.

This posting was followed in November 1944 by Warren becoming a Flight Commander of 232 (Transport) Squadron at Stoney Cross. The squadron was formed from tour expired RAF and RAAF crews and began to work up on the Wellington XVI being used as a transport aeroplane, but before embarking on the transport routes the aircrew (including Warren) were transferred to No 243 Squadron at Merryfield in January 1945 and the squadron reduced to a cadre. These crews were being converted to fly Dakotas in order to join the parent squadron, No 268, at Camden near Sydney, Australia.
 The role of the squadron was to support the RAAF and the British Pacific Fleet, which entailed flights throughout the Pacific area to such places as New Guinea, Borneo, and the Phillipines. On the 4thMarch 1945 he left England for Canada arriving on the 9th and on the 24th Warren commenced a 10 day Radio Flying Course at RAF Dorval, flying Dakotas.

Their aircraft had then to be flown via the USA, Hawaii, and New Zealand to Australia, where he landed at Camden NSW on the 15th April. The squadron grew in size and by the end of that month it had 47 Dakotas on strength, some being fitted out for VIP flights.

In September 1945, Warren and Squadron Leader Dunne were ordered to join HMS Walrus of the Pacific Fleet at Leyte for the relief of Kai Tak airfield in Hong Kong.
 They were part of a small landing party from the aircraft carrier
HMS ‘Indomitable’ to take over Kai Tak. The Japanese Commander and his troops were ordered to stand to attention whilst the RAF Ensign was hoisted.
 Not much is written about the RAF’s part in the relief of Hong Kong or indeed its participation with the Tiger Forces. It was mainly an airfield construction force that was diverted to Hong Kong for this purpose.

 (**In April 2004 Charles Warren contacted the RAF Medal Office with a belated claim for the Pacific Star for operations in this theatre. a claim which proved successful, with the MOD forwarding the campaign medal to him.)
After the disbandment of 243 Squadron, Warren was sent in April 1946 with four crews and aircraft to the British Commonwealth Air Force HQ, Iwakuni, Japan to form No 1315 Communication Flight with Austers and Dakotas.

He was acting Station Commander responsible for all flying activities including Air Sea Rescue. He became the personal pilot to Air Vice-Marshal ‘Boy’ Bouchier who was Deputy to General McArthur. He also flew various VIP’s around the area including Portal. For these services he was awarded the MBE (LG 12.6.47).
 Whilst in Japan he met Bettina Vernon, (real name Bettina Lanzer) a professional contemporary dancer in the style of Gertrud Bodenwieser, who he would eventually marry in Derby on the 22nd September 1951, whilst living at 37, Whitaker Road, Derby

On returning to the UK in June 1947 he was posted to Transport Command (46 Group) at Bushey, and then in October 1948 being appointed Air Accident Officer for the Berlin Air Lift (Operation Plainfare ) operating from Buckeburg and Luneberg flying Dakotas again, gaining a further Mention in Dispatches for his work. After the airlift, he was sent to No 1&2 Initial Training School at Digby in December 1949, then on to No 3 Initial Training School at Cranwell flying Prentice aircraft. By April 1952 he was at No 1&2 Initial Training School at Kirton-in- Lindsay, by then being promoted to Wing Commander. He was awarded the 1953 Coronation Medal while stationed here (official roll confirms).
His final appointment was Officer Commanding 288 Squadron at Middle Wallop, this being the last piston-engined aircraft squadron in RAF service flying Ballioi’s.
At about 7pm on Monday 22nd October 1956, W/C Warren was the pilot of a Ballioi Mk T2 aircraft (Serial No WG 184) on a night training flight over Middle Wallop with a former Polish Battle of Britain pilot, Master Pilot Miroslaw Wojciechowski (303 Squadron) as his Co-pilot.Flying at the same time in a Chipmunk aircraft (operated by Air Services Ltd) was F/O Htay Maung from the Burmese Air Force, who was studying for his airline transport pilot’s licence.

The two aircraft collided at 1500 ft at Charity Down on the edge of RAF Middle Wallop, all three occupants taking to their parachutes. Sadly, Master Pilot Wojciechowski being killed as his parachute had only partly deployed. By using his parachute, Charles Warren was entitled to claim membership to the Caterpiller Club, but was obviously too distressed in the circumstances to do this.

W/C Warren was cleared of any blame in the subsequent enquiry, which concluded that, ‘the accident had been caused by the divergence of regulations governing civil and military flying, in that the Chipmunk was flying within the airfield traffic zone’.
 After spending a month in hospital he returned to active flying on 19th November 1956 flying a Balliol again, his log book being endorsed on the 30th November by W/C Innes Westmacott.

On the 12th September 1957, Charles Warren led the fly-past of Balliol aircraft over Middle Wallop to mark the disbandment of 288 Squadron, handing the Squadron Crest at the conclusion to Air Commodore R C Mead. W/C Warren made his last flight with the RAF on the 27th September 1957 having flown a grand total of 2428 hrs with Fighter, Bomber, and Transport Commands in three theatres of operations during WW2. 

Charles Warren decided to take early retirement at the end of 1957, when he took up a career in personal management with the Beecham Group and also British Oxygen, along with several other large corporations. He also co-wrote a book with his wife entitled, ‘Gertrud Bodenwieser and Vienna’s Contribution to Ausdruckstanz’, whilst living in retirement at Fulmer, Bucks.

As a former Battle of Britain and Bomber Command pilot he attended many re-unions in London and was invited with his wife on several occasions to attend garden parties at Buckingham Palace.

He died on 19th October 2005, and was cremated at Slough Crematorium on the 2nd November, with a full ceremony arranged by the RAF, including a bugler playing the Last Post. His ashes were later interred alongside his wife Bettina at Fulmer Churchyard, Bucks.

**I had known Wing Commander Warren for the last 15 years and interviewed him on many occasions, using his log-book and personal papers to confirm these facts of his RAF and civilian career.

His will stipulated that his medals/logbooks were to be auctioned and the proceeds given to Cancer Relief (his wife Bettina succumbing to this disease in 2002.)

Charles Warrens group of medals consists of

Member of the British Empire Medal, Distinguished Flying Cross,The 1939/45 Star,The Air Crew Europe Star, The Pacific Star,The Defence Medal,The 1939/45 War Medal with Oak Leaf, The 1953 Coronation Medal.

 Simon Muggleton. September 2007.



small cat.2
© 152(Hyderabad) F Squadron 1939-1967. All Rights Reserved.