No. 152, was formed and joined the 82nd wing at Carvin on 18th October 1918. By then the German Air Force was in no position to make serious night raids so No. 152 had little opportunity to show its prowess. The squadron returned to the UK in 1919 and was disbanded in June.
No. 152 Squadron reformed on 1st October 1939. At Acklington as a fighter squadron equipped with Gladiators most of the flying to begin with took place on Tutors and Harts. Two months later it began to receive Spitfires and went operational on 6th January 1940, flying coastal and convoy patrols.
On 29th it had an inconclusive combat over the North Sea, but five days later it scored with a HE III destroyed over the coast. A further victory later that month, again another Heinkel, but the Commanding Officer. Sqn Ldr. F.W.C. Shute was lost due to his engine failing over the sea. This made way for Sqn Ldr. P.K. Devitt. The squadron carried on with sector patrols and increased night flying. On the 12th July 1940 the squadron moved South to R.A.F. Warmwell in Dorset for the defense of Portland Navel Base. This now put 152 Sqn. in group 10 HQ, Rudlof Manor, Box, Wilts. Note: R.A.F. Warmwell was formerly known as Woodsford but was renamed in 1938. 152 duties were covering the Channel, South Coast and being drawn into the London Battles, although it was really too far to make a full contribution to these, it continued on the defensive throughout the Winter.
In April the squadron moved further south to Portreath Cornwall with Sqn Ldr. Derek Pierre Aumale Boitel-Gill who commanded the squadron from November 1940 - June 1941. Note: He was awarded the D.F.C. on 22nd October 1940 but on September 18th 1941 he was killed in a flying accident at Carlisle. Also awarded a D.F.C. was Eric Simcox (Boy) Marrs on the 7th January 1941. 152 began convoy patrols again in June, tentative night fighting sorties but the loss of two aircraft on these brought them to a halt. A month later the squadron began escorting Blenheims of No 2 Group on anti-shipping strikes of the Brittany coast with long range Spitfires fitted with 30 Gallon tanks on the port wing. In mid-August 1941 the squadron moved to various airfields. For brief spells; Snailwell, Swanton Morley and Coltishall. This type of operation was continued when the squadron moved to Eglinton, Ireland, so most of 1942 saw flying over the Irish sea area. In August 1942 the squadron moved to Angle, Pembrokeshire under a new commander Sqn Ldr. H. Bird-Wilson. Again with mainly convoy patrols the squadron saw no action. Then the squadron left for Wittering in September 1942 to November 1942 where it became non-operational to prepare for posting overseas. Sqn Ldr. Bird-Wilson became ill and was replaced by Sqn Ldr J.E. Sing. The squadron were now being equipped with MK VC Spitfires which replaced the Spitfire MK VB’s.
The squadron took part in the invasion of North Africa operation “torch”, landing at Algiers on the 14th November 1942 and beginning with convoy patrols. It soon took the offensive, however, with sweeps in the Tunis area and escort to the Boston day bombers. At the end of the year the squadron retired to re-equip and rest and was not fully in action again until February 1943. The pattern was as before except that now the squadron included in Rhubarbs, strafing German M.T. on the Tunisian roads.
In March 152 began using bombs on its Rhubarbs with great effect during the last few weeks of the campaign. A move to Malta enabled the squadron to work up for the Sicilian invasion. At first the squadron were escorting the bombers and then flying Beach head patrols when the invasion began. It was heavily committed here and in the following landings in Italy. On 25th July 1943 152 destroyed twelve enemy aircraft in one dogfight. By October 1943 operations had slackened and the squadron withdrew to move to India. It became operational there on 19th December 1943 as part of Calcutta’s defence.
A week later a section of the squadron shot down its first Japanese aircraft, a “Dinah”. However, nothing more happened until the squadron moved to the front where it flew “Jim Crow” sorties to the Akyab airfields and flew sweeps which developed into armed raids.
For the next few months the squadron kept up a fairly high rate of operations, both in low -level attack and in bomber and Dakota escorts. The pressure built up until in November 1944 the squadron was flying over 1000 operational hours a month. Whilst most of its activity was offensive there were the occasional scrambles for Japanese raids and on 17th February 1945 152 destroyed 3, probably destroyed 2 and damaged a further three aircraft in a Japanese raid. Operations soon tailed off and the squadron diversified by again by being fitted up for bombing. The squadron attacked Japanese crossing the Sittang River but it all abruptly came to a halt in September. The squadron moved to Tengah where on the 10th March 1946 it was disbanded.
The squadron reappeared at work near Bombay on the 12th May 1946 as 136 Sqn, but renumbered back to 152 Squadron after just 10 days. After reforming the squadron moved to Risalpur in June 1946 with Spitfire MK XIV’s without the Panther which was painted on the side over the Roundel on the MK VIII’s and using 136 Sqn code letter H.M. but in July 1946 the squadron was re-equipped with Tempest II at R.A.F. Risalpur, India.
152 Sqn disbanded again at R.A.F. Risalpur in 1947 on the 31st January but in 1954 it returned to service at Wattisham UK on the 1st June, now as a night fighter unit with Meteor NF12 and NF14. It was again disbanded at Stradishall on the 11th July 1958.
The squadron was reformed from No 1417 flight under FLT Lt. F. Rimmer at Bahrein on the 1st October 1958. Gone was the fighter role as the new squadron now flew the Pembroke C.I. on light transport and communication duties throughout the Persian Gulf area. In December, twin Pioneer CCI’s arrived for tactical transport duties and formed “B” flight and the Pembroke’s becoming “A” flight. In February 1959 Sqn Ldr. J.L. Farr assumed command. At this time the squadron was actively involved in the Jebal Akadar campaign against the rebels in the Oman. In July 1961 the squadron was heavily involved in the Kuwait operation when Iraq threatened the tiny Sheikdom.
Eventually the twin Pioneers of “B” flight moved to Sharjah and the Pembroke’s stayed at Muharraq (Bahrein) at Muharraq. On the 10th August 1967 the commanding officer Sqn Ldr. J. Timms received the squadron standard for 25 years of outstanding service.
On the 9th December 1967 the squadron was disbanded at Muharraq.
© 152(Hyderabad) F Squadron 1939-1967. All Rights Reserved.